Ads by Amazon

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Net Worth Update - August 1st, 2009

Every time I get paid (every two weeks), I update my net worth. The idea behind this is that my goals are that my liabilities drop every two weeks, and by tracking them in this way, I am able to get a nice picture of where I stand financially. Its not a perfect balance sheet that I have (because of student loans I have a negative net worth), but the progress is what I am looking for.

ASSETS:
- up $654.84 from July 17th, 2009
- up $5838.77 from August 1st, 2009(one year ago)

These assets include my house (I give it 1% appreciation each year in my appreciation), my RRSP and my TFSA. The market swung up a bit in the last two weeks (my brother even told me that his investments are above zero percent all time meaning tha the recovered his losses from the last year/this year...I am not quite so lucky)

LIABILITIES:
- better $847.39 from July 17th, 2009
- better $11,241.25 from August 1st, 2008 (one year ago)

These liabilities include my mortgage, student loans and a consolidation loan (mainly for my Masters Degree for teaching). Additionally, my credit card would be on here near, but it has had a (near) zero balance in 2009.

NET WORTH:
- better $1502.24 from July 17th, 2009
- better $17,080.02 from August 1st, 2008 (one year ago!)

Those are excellent numbers once again! A few realities about my current situation though:

1) I am currently teaching summer school, basically giving me double paycheques throughout the summer. I got my first paycheque for about $700 or so, affecting my assets and my liabilities.
2) Because of the way the month fell, I got three pays in the one month, giving me some more disposable income.

The last thing I am going to track is the value of the TSX. I have some asset allocation goals that I will share in future posts, and they are dependent on the value of the TSX.

TSX Graph
Current Value: 10,787.15
Highest Value in Last 2 Years: 15073.13 June 18th, 2008

2 comments:

  1. Do you include your teacher's pension as part of your net worth? It doesn't look like you do but you should! If you ever quit teaching, there may be an option to get whatever you have contributed put towards an RRSP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I tried to respond to this last night. Technically, I should count my pension as part of my net worth. I do not though, because it is not a liquid asset. The theory is that if I liquidate all of my assets (and liabilities), how far ahead or behind am I at the given time. I have no access to my pension so I won't put it as an asset...yet.

    ReplyDelete